Madison Parks Celebrating Arbor Week
April 19, 2007
The United States celebrates many holidays that memorialize or reflect upon the past, but there are few holidays that look forward to and celebrate the future. National Arbor Day is one such holiday. It is a holiday that celebrates and promotes conservation and stewardship of our natural resources for generations to come.
The City of Madison is proud to be designated a Tree City USA for the 18th year in a row. The City of Madison Forestry Section plants 2,600 trees on an annual basis and is responsible for the maintenance of over 100,000 trees along the streets and in the parks. The Madison Parks Division will be celebrating this Tree City honor and Arbor Day with a full week of tree plantings, with our future leaders - elementary school students!
There is a special event slated for Monday, April 23 at 3p.m.. The City of Madison and the City of Fitchburg are working together with the Boys and Girls Club in Allied Drive to celebrate Arbor Week. Both the mayors of Madison and Fitchburg will be in attendance to help plant
The following list of tree planting projects will provide for good media and photo opportunities.
• April 20, 11:15a.m., Warner Park. Planting tree with the entire school from Lakeview Elementary. Mayor will be in attendance.
• April 23, 3:00p.m. Belmar Park, Fitchburg. Planting tree with Allied Drive Boys and Girls Club and City of Fitchburg. Both Mayors of Fitchburg and Madison will be in attendance.
• April 24, 9:30, Yahara River Parkway, near corner of Jenifer and Thornton Street Planting with O'Keefe Middle School.
• April 25, 9:00a.m., Elvehjem Park 1202 Painted Post Road. Planting with class from Elvehjem Elementary
• April 25, 12:45p.m., South Side Police Station, Planting tree with 5th Graders from Lincoln Elementary.
• April 25, 1:00p.m., Flad Park, 4937 Flad Ave., Planting tree kindergarten class from St. Maria Goretti.
• April 26, 9:00a.m., Everglade Park, 406 Everglade Drive. Planting tree with Muir Elementary.
• April 26, 12:45p.m., Goodman Pool, 325 Olin Ave. Planting tree with students from Franklin Elementary.
• April 27, 10:45a.m., Sherman Village Park, 1226 Delaware Blvd. Planting a tree with Gompers Elementary
- Laura Whitmore, 266-5949
- , 576-5093