Fire Causes $100,000 in Damage at Goodwill Group Home
January 1, 2012
Nine residents are safe, after a fire causes $100,000 in damage to their home at 1602 Northport Drive.
At 11:45 pm, firefighters arrived at the two story residential building and saw flames shooting from a 1st floor window and heavy smoke coming from a door on the opposite side of the building. Initial report said that two people were trapped on the second floor, but it was found that all residents had safely evacuated the Goodwill Northport Group Home. Crews ventilated the building and conducted a search and rescue. Once the seat of the fire was found, it was quickly extinguished.
Eight residents and a live-in residential counselor were home when the fire broke out. Smoke filled the building quickly and occupants were yelling for people to evacuate as fire alarms sounded. Most of the residents were sleeping, so many of them ran outside in pajamas and bare feet or socks. A Madison Metro bus assisted at the scene to help keep the residents warm. Red Cross also assisted the residents with blankets.
The origin of the fire was found in the laundry room, but the cause is under investigation.
The residents will be staying at other Goodwill Group Homes. No one was injured during the fire.
How can you can help the Dane County Government Public Safety Communications (911) call taker when calling 9-1-1?
• Answer all questions asked by the call-taker.
• Listen to all instructions provided to you by the call taker.
• Speak clearly (so we can understand what you are telling us).
• Remain calm (difficult to do at times, we understand. But by remaining calm, you will help the call taker gather valuable information needed by first responders).
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168
- , 608-261-9844