Fire in 4-Unit Causes $275,000 in Damage
April 6, 2012
A fire in a 4-unit apartment causes an estimated $275,000 in damage.
Around 2:00 pm, a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof area at 425 Troy Drive, so he called 9-1-1. Engine 10 was first on the scene and noticed smoke coming from the eaves on all sides of the building. One person was inside the building at the time of the fire, but escaped with no injuries and told firefighters there may be a residents still inside the building.
When Engine 10 opened the front door, they were met with heavy black smoke which was banking down to the floor, along with significant heat at the ceiling height. The crew advanced the hose line, extinguishing the fire, continued to search for victims and removed windows for ventilation. Engine 8's crew backed up Engine 10's crew with a hose line. Ladder 1 firefighters searched for victims on the first floor, while Ladder 8's crew opened up the roof to ventilate the smoke and poisonous gases from the building.
Firefighters conducted a primary and secondary search, finding everyone was out of the building. Smoke alarms were sounding.
The front half of the building suffered extensive fire damage, while the 1st floor had water damage.
Red Cross is assisting a total 5 adults and one 5-year old child with immediate needs.
The fire is under investigation.
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168
- , 608-261-9844